Friday, March 2, 2012

My New Favorite Thing - Food Baskets


I always struggle with figuring out what to get people as gifts. Recently, though, I stumbled onto a gift that I think is actually a great idea for any occasion and any person: food. People usually call them "food gift baskets" but it doesn't really have to come in a basket! I just like to put together foods that I know a person likes along with new foods that I want them to try.

The first time I gave food as a gift was for a friends' wedding. None of the items on their registry struck a chord with me; napkin rings and serving platters just didn't say "this is from me!" I finally saw one thing that I knew was my style; a bottle of very expensive wine. I got together with some other friends and bought the bottle. We padded the gift out with lots of other little, but nice, food things. It was such a good idea and so well-received, I don't know why I haven't always done something like that as presents for people!

The reason that its so hard to buy gifts for people, in general, is that it's hard to find something that the person doesn't already have. But if the gift is food, it doesn't matter if they already have it. Food is consumable---this goes without saying---so you can always use more. As long as it is something tasty, I know my gift will be used (or consumed) and appreciated.

Even with my good friends, about whom I feel that I know everything, it's still hard to know what to get. That's when this kind of present works out the best, because I eat with these people all the time. I know not to get basil for my friend who is allergic to it, for example. I can make it a wine gift basket for my wine-loving friends, and stick to chocolate for those who don't drink. How could I possibly go wrong.

Presentation is pretty important to me as well. I don't actually like to use baskets, even though I still call it a "basket". I like to use nice boxes the best, with pretty paper and bows. Sometimes I include recipes and items I've made myself. I even decorate with pictures and drawings! And when I need the added convenience, I can skip the homemade step and just order one online. You can get them from so many places with just about anything.

Mind you, I don't just like to be on the giving end. On my own wedding registry I actually included lots of food items hoping that someone would put a bunch of them together as a present. Well, no one did, sadly. Other people still seem to think that soup mix or gourmet chocolates are not real gifts. I disagree. I think they are the best gifts: a new marriage is fun but also full of stress. Providing easy gourmet pre-made dinners for a new couple is just the right thing. And chocolate is a great stress-reliever. Here's a tip from a newlywed: if you want to give the couple the gift of a stress-free evening, include some gourmet food that can easily be prepared for a nice dinner.




The joy of giving, the knowledge that my gift will be appreciated, and the fun of picking out great foods all come together to make gorgeous food baskets my new favorite thing! I am going to start dropping hints to people for Christmas. TheBasketSpot.com carries several gourmet food gift baskets that I absolutely love.




No comments:

Post a Comment