Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Hungry Crowd: Sirio Maccioni

The founder of iconic New York City restaurant Le Cirque joins Food & Wine’s food-obsessed community.

“The most memorable food experience I’ve ever had on vacation was in Barcelona, at a restaurant called Le Goût d’Avignon. In the summer of 1982, I visited the city to watch the World Cup semifinal between Italy and Poland. King Juan Carlos, whom I knew very well as we were both born in Italy, recommended the restaurant. It was there that I first tried the dessert crema catalana. I told our pastry chef about it, and it inspired Le Cirque’s famous crème brûlée.”

“Our pasta primavera was born when I promised fresh pasta with tomatoes and basil to critic Craig Claiborne, but we had no tomatoes.”

“It didn’t get any more glamorous than Havana, Cuba, in the 1950s. I used to go there when I was a waiter on a cruise ship.”

slideshow Plus: Delicious Cuban Recipes

“The blueberry-soy weight-loss smoothies my son makes for me taste terrible, but my doctor says they’re good for me.”

slideshow Plus: Healthy Breakfasts

“I love the ribs from Daisy May’s BBQ on 11th Avenue in NYC. Adam Perry Lang, the owner, worked at Le Cirque.”

slideshow Plus: Affordable Recipes from Star Chefs

Sirio Maccioni

Sirio Maccioni, restaurateur. Photo & Le Cirque.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment