Saturday, December 17, 2011

How Robert Bresson taught me to Cook

Ten years ago, I had my wisdom teeth extracted, and the days of convalescence that followed, I watched most of the films of Robert Bresson. I don't know which of the two is more painful.

Probably the least watched the authors French, Bresson made films without compromise, severe - including Pickpocket, diary of a parish priest of countries and to the random Balthazar - who somehow managed the trick of remaining overwhelmingly alive. Moved by my minimarathon, if in step hurry to watch the films of new if early, tracked a copy of the Notes on the Director of photography, a collection of observations of Bresson on written film between the 1950s and 1974.

I liked to carry the small book autour in my back pocket, and little by little, I discovered that I had played well enough the thing, how to mark other people the Tao Te Ching or the letters to a young poet. Many of the notes have been wonderfully open to interpretation; they have made sense if you applied for the cinema, but to life: "the point is not to order a person, but to direct oneself.".

But it will be years later, when I started to take seriously the job of the cooking, that I realized the real value of the Notes of Bresson as a kind of Art of war for the kitchen.

Until then, I had followed Council of mag a laddy or another and nailed down a couple of go - to dishes, I could count on dates-[x] risotto and omelettes with [y] - but I was not yet a real feeling for the kitchen, and as I found myself a bookmark of the most ambitious projects in my collection of growing cookbooksthe wisdom of Notes on a photograph grounded me.

"A set consisting of good images may be hateful" was instructive when I made my first paella (very dry, bland). Soufflés doomed to failure countless becoming egg sandwiches, I comforted myself with conviction of Bresson that "something is not can,." If you change its place, then, be something that came off the coast, sometimes there was no way it save a flat. "A unique movement that is not right," as, say, too cumin in the black bean soup, "Gets the rest."

I spent more time in the kitchen, I saw that to "put themselves in a State of intense curiosity ignorant and still see things in advance," was what cooking was all words. "All escapes and disperses. The Cook must "continually to bring back all in one," a holistic singularity, a meal. Whenever my inattention resulted in the burning of butter or cooked pasta, I remembered an injunction Bresson: "Deep Dig where you are." Don't slip off elsewhere. Double, triple bottom to things. »

Gradually I improved to make do with what I had in hand. Network market-fresh for use as a condiment on sandwiches or roasting to put in a salad, beet showed that "a small topic may provide the pretext for many combinations of deep." At other times, the best ingredients needed nothing more that to be consumed, and with a fresh pluot or pear in hand, I remembered "don't forget to have used fully everything what is communicated by immobility and silence."

I learned of Bresson reduce rigorous down is the most important thing. The kitchen is as much to deprive because it is about adding; It is good to remember the concept of fullness and let the inherent flavor of something speaks for itself.

Or, in terms of Bresson, to have the wisdom "not to use two violins when one is enough."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment