Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Two Types of The Raw Food Diet


There are 2 types of raw food diets out there. You have the raw gourmet, high fat raw food diet and you also have the low fat raw vegan diet. In my experience I found the raw gourmet diet unappealing.

With raw gourmet it is a lot of preparation. You end up making your favorite cooked foods in raw form. To me, well that was a little bit too complicated for me. Also these raw forms seemed to be laced with salt. Salt isn't good for your body. I tried one recipe out once; the work I put in wasn't worth it. Although raw food is much healthier than cooked, high fat isn't. In fact I would think you would be better off on a low fat cooked diet than a high fat raw. Fat can play havoc with you in so many ways and is the cause of yeast infections and many other healthy problems.

The low fat raw vegan diet is much simpler and something I naturally digressed towards. Dr Doug Graham, author of 80/10/10 diet is an advocate of this way of eating. It was by reading his book that I made the move to a raw food diet permanently. With his diet it is high fruit and greens. It is very simple. You just eat lots of fruit and lots of greens.

With this diet I found my asthma cleared up, my allergies disappeared, I could run faster and for longer (I am an avid runner), I had level moods and I felt content. It can be quite a tough diet at first as it is so far fetched from the typical Western diet but the rewards are worth it.

If you take a slow natural approach to it, start off having fruit for breakfast, then move on to breakfast and lunch being fruit etc etc you should find it easy to go completely 100%. However, if you are an emotional eater you may find it much harder than the average person. Being a low-fat diet, being foods that are easily digested, you won't be able to numb yourself this way. This can be very hard to adjust to if you have used food all your life to cope with bad feelings. You may need to find support and new ways of coping.

That being said though, a low fat raw diet is the best way to go. I feel raw gourmet keeps you attached to the foods you really want to leave behind, where as low fat raw allows you to finally embrace and accept the simplicity of life and nourish your body properly and lovingly.




Kelly has been writing articles for 5 years now. Not only does she specialize in diet, fitness and weight loss but check out her website on memory foam mattress reviews which reviews memory foam mattresses and memory foam mattress toppers for quality sleep that is also part of a healthy lifestyle.




No comments:

Post a Comment