Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Hungry Crowd: Walt Frazier

New York Knicks legend Walt “Clyde” Frazier talks about his fashion flair and NYC restaurant. The Hungry Crowd: Walt Frazier Walt Frazier Photo © Adam Pantozzi/MSG Photos. Walt Frazier’s New York City restaurant. Walt Frazier’s New York City restaurant.

I really like to meet and greet the fans, old and new. The biggest trip is the 12- and 13-year-olds who beg their parents to take them to Clyde’s—young kids who obviously weren’t born yet when I played for the Knicks, but they know my stats and like my words and like my suits.

I cover up. I drape the tablecloth across my lap, and I tuck my napkin inside my collar so it covers my shirt. I used to always have a little spot on my tie, and eventually I was like, “C’mon man, you look sloppy!”

I think Marcus Samuelsson at Red Rooster in Harlem is one of the best. When I met him, the first thing he said was, “Oh, man, I thought I was dressed up, but look at you, Clyde! I got to up my game when you come in!”

In those days, I would go over to First Avenue for the original T.G.I. Friday’s and Maxwell’s Plum. And of course there was Studio 54. That’s the place I miss the most, because of the diversity of people, and the scene—the music, the ambience, people just looking to have a good time.

I learned a lot from my idol and teammate Dick Barnett. He didn’t smoke, didn’t drink and ate a lot of seafood and chicken. And also from Cazzie Russell; “Muscles Russells” was a fanatic about healthy food. He used to carry his own teapot into the locker room. Because of them, I started caring about nutrition, vitamins and a proper diet. I even tried being a vegetarian for a while in the ’70s, but that didn’t work out because I just wasn’t getting enough energy.

I’ve always hated plane food, so I only used to eat Raisin Bran. I ate it so much then that now, I never eat Raisin Bran except when I’m traveling, because otherwise, I wouldn’t have anything to eat on the plane.

Delicious and nutritious. Tantalizing and mesmerizing.

Related Articles

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment